Sunday, January 30, 2011

Not Bad........For a 48 Year Old

Herschel Walker is defying ....."Father Time".

From the New York Daily News:

Herschel Walker 2-0 in mixed martial arts after winning Strikeforce match vs. Scott Carson

Sunday, January 30th 2011, 3:27 PM
Herschel Walker celebrates after beating Scott Carson in a Strikeforce heavyweight mixed martial arts fight  in San Jose, Calif.
Chiu/AP
Herschel Walker celebrates after beating Scott Carson in a Strikeforce heavyweight mixed martial arts fight in San Jose, Calif.
 
He may be 48 years old, but Herschel Walker can still do more than hold his own in the ring.
The former NFL star won a one-sided mixed martial arts fight against Scott Carson on Saturday night's Strikeforce card.

Walker knocked Carson down 20 seconds into the first round, according to MMAFighting.com, and didn't look back from there.

After picking his younger opponent up and slamming him to the ground again, Walker only had to keep up a fight for 3 minutes and 13 seconds before the ref called it quits.
Ever the perfectionist, Walker pointed to a couple mistakes he saw in the quick bout in the post-game interview.

"I relaxed a bit and I got kicked," he said in the post-fight interview, "So yeah I gotta work on that."

It was the second fight for Walker, who remains undefeated in the sport. His opponent, however, wasn't exactly the toughest.

According to MMAWeekly, Carson had fought only once in the last nine and a half years.

Walker said he was just thrilled to be back in the cage and fighting again.

Walker made his MMA debut last January and said he wasn't totally focused on getting back in the cage yet.

"If I come back, I'm definitely going to fight somebody tougher," Walker said in the post-fight interview.

His only priority now, he said, was getting back in the gym and working out more.
"I just want to train and bring more recognition to the sport," he said. ‘I just to make a little bit more money for these guys."

As for rumors that he was trying to make a comeback to the NFL, Walker said he was merely misquoted.

"The comment that I made was somebody asked me if I could play today and I said there's no doubt in my mind I could play," he said. "And they asked me if I came back which team I would play for and I said I'd play for Atlanta, that's home for me … but I never said I was coming back."
nmandell@nydailynews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear your thoughts............