Friday, February 1, 2008

Extra Large.......part 2


Super Bowl XLII ..............

Wow........has it been 41 years? Sundays game between the New England Patriots and the New York (football) Giants will be the 42nd Super Bowl played.

Let's see.......a little quick math says I was a mere 10 years old when the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs in the initial championship between the old NFL and the up and coming AFL. That game was televised by both NBC (AFL) and CBS (NFL).......and was not even a sell out. The half time show featured a collection of college marching bands.

In my 50 plus years, I have seen all 41 Super Bowls.....though not all in their entirety. Most years I have camped out in the humble abode of my living room. A few times I have either hosted or been invited to a "Super Bowl Party" If I had my druthers........camping out at home is the place to be.

One year......I think it was the late 80's or early nineties, I was living in upstate New York and was invited to one of my co-workers' party. The Party and the drinking started at around 2 pm........ The game didn't kick off until after 5, so by that time all of us were passed out drunk and didn't wake up until the third quarter.

Had to read about the game in the next days newspapers......

Hosting a "Super Bowl" party isn't much fun either.........there's always the female who knows absolutely nothing about the NFL, much less football......the guy who swears he could have played in the NFL (if only he didn't have a bum knee), the obnoxious fan of the underdog team who keeps shouting, "They're cheatin' on us!"

And then there is the food...........Now, I was always taught that when hosting anything.......you were not to feed the world......a few hors d'oeuvres , some appetizers......that's it. Some people just don't get it. They want a full course meal. I'm easy.......a few hot wings.......chips......I'm happy.

Alas............the commercials...........

Used to be ......when the commercials came on ......that was when everyone took a bathroom break. Now, the 60 second ads are the talk of the office for weeks after. There is even a web site that ranks the most effective spots.

Well......after 41 years of watching these games.........I have come to but one conclusion.........Let it be close.........let it be fun.........and let it be interesting.......

Okay...........three conclusions.........but who's counting.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear your thoughts............