Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Road Trip.......Down Memory Lane...



Yours Truly...........

Took a road trip these past few days......A trip which took me, my father and my mother back to where it all began.......For me and my siblings, anyway.

The city of Savannah, Georgia...........(where I first lived).........Hunter Air Force Base ( where I breathe my first breath of air.......and Fellwood Homes........(a public housing project where I had my first bed).

I have heard..........to better understand the present and the future.......one must visit the past.

Well.....as much as Savannah has changed in the last 40 years........much of it remains the same.

A smaller version of Hunter AFB remains..........My father's high school ( A. E. Beach High ) is still standing.....still open. My mother's high school ( Woodville and later, To
mkins High is now a Technical school.

And Fellwood Homes?...............It no longer exist........at all. The old housing projects built in 1941 have been leveled (see top photo).

We lived in "the projects" at a time when "the projects"were not yet a bad word........Affordable government subsidized homes. Clean.......efficient......crime free.


But after over 50 years.............Fellwood Homes..........became a drug infested........high crime black eye to the city of Savannah.

It was breath taking and somewhat surreal to see bulldozers working so late on this Christmas Eve afternoon...........clearing the ground for a new Fellwood..........termed, The Sustainable Fellwood. (See Photo above on right).

There is just something
about........seeing your past..........living the present.....and envisioning the future.

Merry Christmas........to all.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear your thoughts............